Yes. You! Why Not?
Introducing the Readers and Writers Book Club:
I love synchronicity.
Last week my friend Laura M. Quainoo posted a book review for Yaa Gyasi’s amazing debut novel, Homegoing. That happens to be the only book that I have ever reviewed on Medium. What are the odds? I messaged her that we should do this every month. We could read the same book and then each post our thoughts on the book and comment on each other’s essays. We decided to allow you all to get in on it, too.
Here is the way it works:
- We all read the same book. For this month (August 2022), the book is the Book of Night Women, by Marlon James.
- Those of us who are inspired to do so can write an essay on Medium. We wait to publish our essays until on or after the decided upon day. Tag your piece “RaWBC.” This month the publish date is August 25th.
- Then we read each other’s essays and comment if we want to. Our goal is friendly discourse like we might get from a real-life book club.
- This is a low-stress book club. If you want to skip a month, no problem.
- Bring your own beverage and snacks.
We recommend you get the book at your library or a local book store. I got my copy through Black Garnet Books from their Bookshop website. If you haven’t checked out Bookshop yet, it is worth a look. They work with small local booksellers so they can offer online sales. Black Garnet is a small bookstore in Minneapolis owned by Black women and specializing in social justice and YA.
If you have an idea for a good book for this club, message me or Laura.